Developing a Method to Reveal My Stance

Poster- Effects of Vaccinating Your Child

Genre One, Poster:

Genre: The first genre is a poster. It clearly conveys my message to my audience in an informative manner by comparing vaccinating your child to not vaccinating them.

Audience: The audience of my first genre is parents with unvaccinated children. I am trying to reach them because they are the reason for the growing number of unvaccinated children in the United States. Since my audience is opinionated and unlikely to listen to medical advice about vaccinations, I created a simple poster that is direct and focused as evidenced by the list format. This poster could be hung in a doctor’s office, where parents will be forced to bring their children regardless if they believe in vaccination or not. The difference between the images of the babies creates a clear contrast between vaccinating and not vaccinating.

Purpose: The purpose of this poster is to educate parents about the harm they create for their child by not allowing them to be vaccinated. I am trying to emotionally appeal to parents with a crying child and the idea of death, hoping that they will take to step to prevent death through vaccination.

Stance: When parents do not vaccinate their children, there is an effect on the health of the overall public.

Rhetorical Situation: Vaccines are a controversial topic. There have been new outbreaks of diseases such as measles recently, which could be prevented if more parents vaccinated their children. Parents need to be addressed and come to terms with the fact that vaccinations help their children instead of harm them.

Genre Two, Political Cartoon:

Genre: The second genre is a political cartoon. It is satirical and compares not receiving vaccinations to not wearing a seatbelt while driving.

Audience: The audience of my second genre is also parents with unvaccinated children. The satirical nature of the political cartoon is clear but hopefully it will prove its point to parents. My audience likely receives their information concerning vaccines through social media, the place where a political cartoon could be posted or read. Parents are likely to see this genre, and the simple black drawing is basic but not too flashy to turn away parents.

Purpose: The purpose of my political cartoon is to persuade parents to vaccinate their children. By connecting the safety of seatbelts to vaccinations, I am persuading parents to realize the benefits that vaccines provide. Just like one should wear their seatbelt at all times when they are in a car, a parent should vaccinate their child against diseases, even if nobody around their child is infected. Through this appeal, I hope to motivate my audience to vaccinate their children.

Stance: The stance is the same for both genres, which is when parents do not vaccinate their children, there, is an effect on the health of the overall public.

Rhetorical Situation: Satire presents a controversial topic in a clear way to its audience, and as the percentage of parents refusing to vaccinate their children rises, parents must acknowledge how they are treating their children.